One of my all time favorite desserts is the Amish Coffee Cake my mom used to make all the time when I was little. I always thought I was super cool because I was eating something with coffee in it. Turns out, it doesn't actually have coffee in it, much to my disappointment. BUT, it does have buttermilk!
It has the softest & fluffiest texture ever, and an amazingly thick crumb topping. Seriously the best combo in the world. I love me some crumb topping!
Want the recipe? I bet you do. Well, I'm feeling pretty generous today, so here you go..
Ingredients for cake
2 1/4 cups sifted flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
Ingredients for crumb topping
1/2 cup sifted flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 (1/2) stick butter
1. Sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt onto a piece of wax paper; reserve.
2. Beat butter in a large bowl, then add sugar gradually, continuing to beat until light; beat in egg.
3. Prepare crumb talking: mix flour and sugar in medium bowl, then cut in butter with pastry blender until texture of coarse crumbs.
4. Finish making batter. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately to creamed mixture with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
5. Pour batter into well greased 9x13 pan; scatter crumbs evenly on top.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cake pulls away from side of pan.
Then cut & enjoy a piece with a large glass of cold milk!
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
Hello everyone! I hope you all had a fantastic and fun-filled Easter! Over the past few days, I made Easter themed desserts for my family's consumption, as well as desserts for Easter day lunch & dinner. Just for fun, I made & decorated some egg & cross sugar cookies a few days before Easter.
Unfortunately I did not get a chance to make anything else until Saturday morning (I started my first job last week!!). The desserts I made were for Easter Sunday meals at each of my grandparents house. For lunch, I made some bunny & carrot cookies.I saw these cupcakes in an ad while clipping coupons for my mom & thought they were adorable! So for Easter dinner, I made white cupcakes with vanilla icing & decorated them to look like bunnies. I used sprinkles for the eyes, nose, and whiskers, & a piece of marshmallow for their ears.
I hope everyone enjoyed their Easter!